How To Make Cloth Masks At Home
WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING CLOTH MASKS.
Please drop off cloth masks at Unity Healthcare’s Administrative Office:
1250 South Creasy Lane, Lafayette
Here’s what you’ll need to sew masks at home:
Cotton flannel for the backing
1/8” flat braided elastic
Cut the elastic 7” long for adult or children
You can make 2 sizes: Adult (9”x6”) or Child (7.5”x5”)
- Put right sides of cotton and flannel fabric together.
- Starting at the center of bottom edge sew to the first corner, stop. Sew end of elastic to corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
- Sew to the next corner, stop, and bring the other end of that same elastic to the corner and sew a few stitches forward and back.
- Now sew across that top of the mask to the next corner. And repeat #2 to the corner.
- Sew to next corner and sew in the other end of the same elastic.
- Sew across the bottom leaving about 1.5” to 2” open. Stop, cut the thread. Turn inside out.
- Pin 3 tucks on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are the same direction.
- Sew around the edge of the mask twice.